Chemigation Container Recycling Licensing & Certification Enforcement Pesticide Disposal Product Registration Toxicology and Pesticide Exposure Urban Pesticide Program USDA Recordkeeping ProgramWater ProgramsWorker Protection Program
Forms, Reports & Publications Laws & Rules Other Resources Contact Information
Pesticide Container/Containment Rule
The USEPA is required by the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA) to promulgate regulations prescribing procedures and standards for container design and the removal of pesticides from containers prior to disposal. On October 29, 2008, EPA published a final rule that amended the pesticide container and containment regulations. The following are some of the changes EPA made by amending the container and containment regulations:
- Extended the labeling compliance date from August 17, 2009 to August 17, 2010;
- Changed the phrase “sold or distributed” to “released for shipment” where it is used in association with compliance dates;
- Provided for exceptions to some of the container-type labeling requirements for some specific nonrefillable types of containers;
- Allowed EPA to grant waivers of the container-type label requirements for other refillable and nonrefillable containers on a case-by-case basis; and
- Provided for exceptions to the requirement for residue removal instructions for some specific types of containers.
Compliance with the containment regulations is required by August 17, 2009 and pesticide labels will be required to start including the disposal language by August 17, 2010. The following are some documents and links to assist dealers, registrants and applicators to comply with these new requirements.
For more information concerning the Container/Containment regulations, please contact:
Fax: (208) 334-3547